Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Style File - Indian & Moroccan

Abraham Lincoln once said
"My great concern is not whether you have failed,
but whether you are content with your failure."

And I admit, I am a bit intimidated by all the excellent designers that blog about room design. ok...a whole ton intimidated. But failing to try to design, or failing to try to do anything is the real crime. This fear has lurked in the back corner since 8th grade when I didn't make the middle school basketball team. And even now, I get so worked up about what other people think of my attempt that I would rather not put myself out there.

So, today I am probably going to have a mediocre design - however, it is the best I can do in the short time available. And I did grab hold of some Bower Power - which always has a way of giving me strength (try it!). Also, just to be clear - this blog is for me - and I hope you readers blog for yourselves. Because in the end, your opinion is the only one that matters.

So enough of all that - on to the nitty gritty. This is the first entry of what I am introducing as
STYLE FILES.
A Style File is just as the name implies. A comgloberation of all things that I have noted particular to a certain theme, area, culture, or era. I will make notes for certain areas of design and if you ever decide to change a room, a hall, or your whole house then you can use this guide as a resource for your new decor. Also, I will create a moodboard so you can see how I interpret that style for life today.
Just holla if you have an idea you would like to see added to the list.

STYLE FILE : INDIAN & MOROCCAN



Colors - cinnamon, reds, teals, orange, gold, lime, browns

Features - hand carved, camel leather, worked metal filagree, hand carved inlaid camel bone, coral and turquoise-colored resin accent pieces, panels with repeating design, dark wood

Furniture - ornate chests, carved wood, painted designs, star shaped tops, beaded mirrors, thick bordered mirrors, shell adorned, octogon shaped tables, throne chairs, nightstands with doors with carved fronts, headboards only, headboards with scalloped edge, hand-dyed leather poufs, moorish chairs, tables with inlaid tile, fountains, divider screens, mosaics

Walls & Ceilings - painted designs, tiles with hand painted design, star & flower painted tiles

Lighting - lanterns, filigree design, stained glass, metal work, pyramid shapes, tear dropped shape

Fabrics - silks, stripes, similar color palate, fringes, patchwork throws, pillows with tassels, leather, ornate designs

Decor - urn-shaped vases, musical instruments, silk curtains, carved panels

No comments: