Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11

As I remember the events of September 11th, I can't help but be brought to tears in remembering how many children lost a parent, how many men and women lost their life partner, and how many people lost a friend. But most of all I remember how many servicemen were lost as they ran to assist their fellow American.


In remembering this day - this infamous day in history - I can say one thing:

I will Never Forget!



The USS New York was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center. It is the fifth in a new class of warship designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down ina foundry in Amite, LA to cast the ship's bow section. "When it was poured into the molds on September 9th in 2003, the big rough steelworkers treated it total reverence" said Navy Captain Kevin Wensing. And the foundry operations manager said "it had a big meaning to if for all of us - they knocked us down, but they can't keep us down, we're going to be back. "

2 comments:

Dusty @AllThingsG+D said...

Nothing to add other that it's still so sad and sometimes feels like it happened yesterday.

Freckles Chick said...

It's been 7 yrs and I still get chills when I wake up on this day.

As I was driving home on this past 9/11, all hunched up with work stress, I drove by the fire station by my house. They had all of their gleaming fire engines parked out front with American flags at half mast, strung from the ladders. A sad, silent salute to the fallen.

That image was all it took for me to forget all my little worries.